MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials which have attracted much attention recently, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and possess shown broad application prospects in lots of fields. The following is a detailed overview of the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
What exactly is MAX material?
MAX phase material is really a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material comprising M, A, X elements around the periodic table, collectively called “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, including titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the primary group elements, like aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is made up of M, A, X, the 3 elements of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of their electrical conductivity of metal and strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they may be widely used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding and other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is a new kind of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with all the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, composed of three elements using the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers back to the transition metal, A means the main-group elements, and X refers back to the components of C and/or N. The MXene material is really a graphene-like structure obtained from the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAXenes and MXenes are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made from carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the excellent physical properties of MAX materials get them to have an array of applications in structural materials. For example, Ti3SiC2 is a kind of MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which can be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials can also be found in functional materials. As an example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and could be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Additionally, some MAX materials also provide better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be utilized in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which may be found in energy materials. As an example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one in the MAX materials rich in ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used as a raw material to manufacture solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
Exactly What are MXene materials?
MXene materials certainly are a new type of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, just like the structure of graphene. The surface of MXene materials can interact with more functional atoms and molecules, along with a high specific area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation strategies for MXene materials usually are the etching treatment of the MAX phase and the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties like electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics may be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials really are a new kind of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials comprising metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, like high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., in addition to good chemical stability and the opportunity to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Uses of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and are popular in energy storage and conversion. As an example, MXene materials can be used electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Additionally, MXene materials can also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to boost the activity and stability from the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity may be used in electromagnetic protection. For example, MXene materials can be used electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, along with other applications in electronic products and personal protection, enhancing the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and can be utilized in sensing and detection. For instance, MXene materials bring gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which may realize high sensitivity and selectivity detection of gases. Additionally, MXene materials may also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics as well as other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Down the road, with the continuous progress of science and technology as well as the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application parts of MAX and MXene materials will be further expanded and improved. The following aspects could become the focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mainly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. In the future, new preparation technologies and techniques could be further explored to realize a much more efficient, energy-saving and eco-friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is definitely high, there is however still room for further optimization. In the future, the composition, structure, surface treatment and other aspects of the material may be studied and improved thorough to enhance the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have already been widely used in lots of fields, but you can still find many potential application areas to get explored. In the future, they may be further expanded, including in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection and other fields.
To conclude, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show a broad application prospect in many fields. Using the continuous progress of science and technology as well as the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application areas of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.